Friday, December 28, 2007

Book Love

Surprise of all surprises - I received some of the books that I have had on my year long wish list. I was so delighted to get them in my hands after looking at them for so long on my various book wish lists. Now I am in love!!!

APPLES FOR JAM
By: TESSA KIROS



This book is so lovely and amazing. I wished for this one a while back after seeing it online. I had never seen it in person...but just knew that I would like it. The book is full of lovely family photos, drawings, and childhood memories. It is packed with the kinds of recipes that feature simple ingredients with tasteful results. I really can't put this one down. It reads more like a novel then a cookbook. Oh - and the best part is that the whole thing is organized into chapters based on color. Its graphic design even appeals to me. I love this book all around. The best part is that it was given to me by a sister. One who is growing more and more into her own self everyday. And though she is defining her own sense of self I see so many glimpses of me. I will always think of her when I use this one!

SEW WHAT! SKIRTS: 16 SIMPLE STYLES YOU CAN MAKE WITH FABULOUS FABRICS
By: Francesca DenHartog
This is a book that I have looked at every time I was in a book store. I have wanted to find simple sewing instructions for skirts for quite a while and I think this book will be the answer. I am looking forward to some down time in the new year to check this one out.

Other books I received that made me squeal with delight include...



The Daring Book for Girls

Two Moosewood Restaurant Cookbooks

Roots, Shoots, Buckets and Boots

You Can Do It!: The Merit Badge Hand Book for Grown-Up Girls

*Yeah, I totally fall for these types of books!



Ok - these ones were for Little A but I was thrilled none the less.

An Egg is Quiet (we have and love A Seed Is Sleepy)
*This is from one of my favorite publishers - Chronicle Books
*The illustrations in these two books is well worth reason enough to own them

A Family of Poems - By Caroline Kennedy (with amazing watercolor illustrations By: Jon J Muth)

6 comments:

Jada2929 said...

I'm always looking for new books! Thanks for these suggestions.

mama k said...

ooh fun gifts! I'm curious about the skirt book. I'll have to check that out.

Dayna said...

Jada - you are more then welcome. I hope to be able to post some projects and food results as time goes on.

mama k - I have wanted to get the skirt book for a while now...especially because it shows you how to take your measurements to create a skirt pattern as opposed to a stock pattern that needs to be altered. I have not tried any projects yet - but will certainly post results when I do.

christina said...

hi dayna! this is my first visit to your blog. I LOVE all the crafty ideas!! see you soon & happy blogging!
chris

Dayna said...

Hi Chris -

Thanks for dropping by! See you soon.

Jess said...

I love A seed is sleepy, and An egg is quiet - I bought both for my library. Glad to hear you enjoy them as well.

I can't wait to check out Apples for Jam, and Sew What! Skirts after reading your reviews.