Friday, February 01, 2008

Sour Cream Cookies - Jan 7th

An update post...
On New Years Eve I had for the very first time a sour cream cookie...my word have you had one of these before...and if you have - why did you not tell me about them? I grabbed a recipe from allrecipes and gave it a whirl. There was even a recipe there for a perfect frosting. I copied my friends New Years ones and topped them with chopped pistachios you can also add chopped dried cranberries (very festive look). The nice thing about the allrecipes website is you can read the reviews and changes other cooks have made to a posted recipe.

This is the recipe I used:

SOUR CREAM COOKIES II

INGREDIENTS

  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

DIRECTIONS

  1. In a medium bowl, cream together the shortening, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Then stir in the sour cream. Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda; stir into the creamed mixture. Cover dough and refrigerate for 1/2 hour.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheet.
  3. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto a cookie sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. When cooled ice the cookies.

Icing for Sour Cream Cookies - SUBMITTED BY: Celeste – All Recipes .com

INGREDIENTS

· 1/2 cup butter, melted

· 2 cups confectioners' sugar

· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract – (I always add more)

· 4 teaspoons hot water (I don’t think I had to add any – maybe due to the extra vanilla)

DIRECTIONS

1. Mix butter, powdered sugar and vanilla together. Add teaspoons of hot water until you reach your desired consistency for spreadable icing.

2. Spread icing over the Sour Cream Cookies.

When done I top the freshly iced cookies with chopped pistachios. I have also had them

with chopped pistachios and dried cranberries.


I also did a test one batch cooked on the silpat and one right on the cookie sheet. Here is the side
by side:


I guess the silpat does work nicely. Especially since these cookies have a cakey texture - the ones on the silpat came out perfect. Here they are all finished!

No comments: