Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Bodies

In the late part of this winter our house had found some unwelcome visitors. We went away on a short trip and when we cam home we began ripping out wallpaper and faux bathroom tiles. That is when I noticed the ants. I would find maybe just one or two and couldn't locate where they were coming from. No food had been left out and they weren't in the kitchen. I was perplexed and slowly the anger and frustration began to build. Building to the point where I became the person who was more then willing to spray toxic chemicals in my home to rid myself of the mental abuse these damn ants were causing me. The small one or two daily ants turned into whole trains of them streaming down the stairs and across the living room heading for the kitchen. I searched out remedies, asked opinions of friends, and maybe pulled out some hair over the whole ordeal. One night I sat on the stairs where I had found one ant. I gritted my teeth and committed myself to a steak out. Swearing through my teeth I gave that ant a piece of my mind and told him I would get to the bottom of this. My husband was starting to think I should be committed at this point. But at last I found the buggers - hanging out near a crack where two pieces of wood met together in my linen closet. Numbers in the double digits. I was furious and relieved..I "managed" the situation and we are currently ant free....

That was until LittleA spent some time at my parents. She returned home with a new present from Mimi....an ANT FARM. Now believe it or not - we are plotting to patiently wait 6-8 weeks for our ants to arrive.

In the mean time LittleA wants to know all about ants bodies. She found one that was dead...

LITTLEA: What does dead mean?
MAMA: pausing....It means it is not living any more.
LITTLEA: But what does that mean?
DADDY: It means that the ant is no longer maintaining homeostasis.
LITTLEA: Oh!
As though homeostasis is completely understood :) So the other day we diagrammed the ant body and compared it to human bodies. A few days later LittleA wants to review our body parts while we eat lunch. I dig way back for all those great daddy tidbits and start slowly with the head...

MAMA: Well we have a head and that is great because it has all kinds of parts on it. One really great one is the brain. The best part of the brain is that no matter what its size - it always has room for more learning
LITTLEA: (in her teacherly voice) uh huh...good job mommy
MAMA: Then we have a mouth with some teeth...what is the name of the person who takes care of teeth?
LITTLEA: (very quick and matter of fact) The Tooth Fairy!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh how I love my brother. :)

Laughing out loud STILL!

Dayna said...

me too.
glad you got a laugh out of it too.

Guhn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jess said...

hilarious! i love it...

Akinol said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.