Wednesday, April 23, 2008

ELM TREE

So this is where I get to gush about how cute my husband is. This past weekend I got to see him in true bliss....his new babies arrived. Since we moved into our house he has been dying to plant trees on our property. For months he has been puring through the internet to find just the right ones. He really wanted to get some American Elm trees. He ended up purchasing two 6 foot elm trees from the American Liberty Elm society. Elm trees were once a major part of the American
landscape until they were wiped out by Dutch Elm disease. The American Liberty Elm society is selling ones that are resistant to Dutch Elm disease. And let me tell you these people (and my husband) take these trees quite seriously!

Tim greeted the FedEx man at the end of driveway with a wheelbarrow...Imagine small children running to great the ice-cream man....it was much the same scene!

At the moment of unwrapping the first Elm this is the conversation overheard.

LittleA: Daddy what is in the boxes?
Me: hmmmm maybe a gorilla from Italy?!
LittleA: (with a questioning look in her eyes) No?!
Tim: (insert true Clark Griswald manner here - think National Lampoons Christmas Vacation) This here is a piece of Americana!
Oh how I love life at our house!
In order to keep things truly organized and well kept the society would like to know the GPS location of our trees. They also are more then happy to receive photo updates of their babies. These trees were mere twigs 4 years ago. So in 2004 I was carrying LittleA around and these threes were being planted - kind of cool to see them stand next to each other here 4 years later. Each tree comes with a brass plate identifying the tree...so in our absence future home owners would know the origins of these trees. I think this was Tim's favorite part.
Here is the home for the first one. Three days later the first leaf buds started to emerge and some of the leafs on the tree in the sunniest part of the yard started to unfurl.

Time spent together outdoors as a family...that to me is the real piece of Americana!

2 comments:

Jess said...

i love it - a piece of Americana!

Jennifer said...

OH MY GOD LITTLE BROTHER REALLY DID PLANT THE TREE RIGHT WHERE I ALWAYS DRIVE ON THE LAWN BY COMPLETE ACCIDENT!

I'm never going to be able to visit again, unless I can park on the easement...