Thursday, July 24, 2008

Bountiful Harvest

Bountiful Harvest

LittleA and I harvested 5 cups of fresh basil from our herb garden this was after having just harvested another 5 cups only a few days prior. These little seeds really took off!! I had picked some for a friend who was making pesto...and remembered that I too have a pesto recipe. I know that seems a dumb thought for someone growing a huge bush of basil...but honestly I just spent the summer dreaming about fresh picked basil with tomatoes and mozzarella and oil and balsamic vinegar. Yeah so forest through the threes --- we made pesto!


Pine Nuts - Walnuts - Garlic


Basil and Oil added in


Tortellini with pesto and a nice glass of wine with my family. Dinning out in the yard!


My recipe is from The Barefoot Contessa (walnuts, pine nuts, garlic, basil, salt pepper, Parmesan, oil etc). It has a really sharp strong spicy taste....I am thinking next time I might cook it on the stove for a tiny bit first. Otherwise we enjoy it in very small doses. My other thought is to try it with some of our mild tasting scapes and some roasted garlic instead of raw. Do you have a more mild flavored recipe I must try?

and since there was still more basil to eat up I decided to try an Emeril recipe. I used his pizza dough and margherita pizza recipes. I LOVED both. Once we have our own tomatoes in I look forward to making this again. For the dough I used part white flour part whole wheat and it was great. The crust was thin and crunchy but also doughy. We used the other half of dough last night for BBQ chicken pizza and it was great all over again.

Here is a glimpse at some of the other goodies we have seen in our garden this summer!





2 comments:

Jess said...

look at all that garden goodness! the pizza and pesto both look delicious.

Dayna said...

************************
Thanks - I have to post some newer pictures of all the recent goodies...TOMATOES GALORE!!How are all of your veggies doing?
************************