Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Grilled Salad

Grilled Salad

The latest issue of Cooking Light magazine had a recipe for Grilled Romaine with Blue Cheese. The combo sounded too good to pass on. After a trip to the farmers market I had a fresh head of romaine and was set to go. I did not follow the recipe to a tee - this is par for the course with the relationship between me and Cooking Light. I use it mainly for inspiration. I combined this recipe with the shell of an idea from the "Rocket Salad" (mainly greens, roasted red onion, and shaved Parmesan) I enjoyed at the Waverly Inn in NYC.


Grilled Romaine with Blue Cheese Dressing - FROM COOKING LIGHT

Look for packaged hearts of romaine with the bags of prewashed salad greens in your supermarket's produce section. If available, use multicolored teardrop tomatoes for a beautiful peak-of-summer presentation.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
3 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons water
1 garlic clove, minced
2 romaine lettuce hearts, cut in half lengthwise (about 12 ounces)
Cooking spray
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved

Preparation

1. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.

2. Combine first 6 ingredients, stirring with a whisk. Cover and chill.

3. Coat lettuce on all sides with cooking spray; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place lettuce, cut side down, on grill rack; grill 2 minutes. Remove lettuce from grill; let stand 5 minutes.

4. Place 1 lettuce half on each of 4 salad plates. Top each serving with 1/4 cup tomatoes. Drizzle each serving with 1 tablespoon dressing. Serve immediately.

Yield

4 servings

Nutritional Information

CALORIES 58(45% from fat); FAT 2.9g (sat 1.2g,mono 0.5g,poly 0.6g); IRON 1.3mg; CHOLESTEROL 5mg; CALCIUM 80mg; CARBOHYDRATE 6.5g; SODIUM 278mg; PROTEIN 2.8g; FIBER 1.5g

Elizabeth Karmel , Cooking Light, JUNE 2008
Here is my romaine - I would highly advise making sure that the lettuce is nice and dry before grilling...I am not so patient after washing lettuce and usually end up eating soggy lettuce for this reason. Grilling wet lettuce leads to wilty soggy parts.



After the lettuce was grilled I added slices of "safe" tomatoes and some roasted shallots. I whipped up a quick dressing of olive oil, balsamic vinaigrette, Dijon mustard, and garlic. After pouring on the dressing I topped it all with crumbly blue cheese.


This was definitely one of the tastier lunches I have had in a while.

3 comments:

Gift of Green said...

I love that you include pictures - it really makes the difference as to whether I might try something or not. Thank you!

Mary Beth said...

Your salad looks delicious! I used to subscribe to Cooking Light--still use some of their recipes and cookbooks. The magazine got too "gourmet" for me though.

Melissa Goodsell said...

I love the step by photos and this looks very yummy!