Monday, August 25, 2008

Unplugged Challenge - Cylinder

Unplugged Challenge - Cylinder


Well we took it a little easy with this weeks challenge. Having come off the tree challenge and still finishing up our Flat Stanley's from the flat challenge (wanna see? check out the link in my right sidebar) - left me a little less then creative.

LittleA and I discussed and defined cylinders and then looked for some examples. Here is her list:

* A tree trunk (ok, she gets it - we are on the right path)
* An Arm (ummmm...well sort of - minus hands and shoulders I guess!?)
* A cup (alright back on track).


Just this morning as I was driving her to my aunts house she was looking out the window and locating cylinders while we drove. I am always amazed at how quickly little ones can pick up on a new concept. Just this weekend she also latched onto the words distinguished, conservatory, and migration. Gotta love the power of reading to your kids!

See some mamas who did get the creative bug this week and made cool cylinder projects here.

7 comments:

So Smrt said...

Wow! Conservatory??? I'd love to hear my 2 year old say that...it was fun hearing her try to say "Stinky skunk"! :)

MrsMomma said...

Hey we talked 'cylinders' too. LOL Not to creative on my side. I had a great project picked out, but the kiddos had other ideas.

Gottfredsen said...

That is really great that she got the concept so easy. Good Job

bren said...

LIL A will be getting a letter bout stanley's adventures soon and u will be getting pics soon

Yelli said...

I was so tickled reading her examples of cylinders especially the arm!

You have a lot of great book suggestions here. I can't wait to try them out with my little guy!

Dayna said...

********************
so smrt - we picked up the word conservatory from our recent reading of Velma Gratch and the Way Cool Butterfly (see it in the library bag on my sidebar). It is always fun to watch and listen as kiddos grasp a language!

mrsmomma - thanks as always for stopping by! I love when the kids take the project in another direction! We are really enjoying these challenges - THANKS!

gottfredsen - thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Always loving checking in to see what you guys have done for the challenges :)

Bren - Thanks so much for participating in the Stanley's adventure. We will be sure to post your update to the blog!

yelli - it was a pleasure to stumble into your blog this week as a challenge participant! Thanks for coming over and seeing what we did. Yeah - the arm was definitely a fun example - made me laugh - I love how she sees the world. Glad you enjoy the book reviews - stop back anytime to see more - and feel free to leave me a comment with some of your favorites!

Ashley said...

Sounds fun; it's always great to see kids identifying what they learn in the world around them.