Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Football Food Face-off - Week Two

Football Food Face-off 
Week Two

Woo Hoo - TWO WEEKS IN A ROW! The Buffalo Bills claimed victory yet again. This time we defeated the Jacksonville Jaguars. I will certainly not be claiming all the credit here - but seems awfully coincidental - no?

 
This week I turned to my fantasy football loving husband for inspiration. It just so happens that Maurice Jones-Drew plays for the Jaguars. And since I am always up for a play on words...Let me present to you

MAURICE JONES-beef/onion-STEW
This is a recipe I attempted once before...although this time I followed it to the letter and guess what it actually tasted better. Yeah so when it says one bit of tomato paste and you, not wanting to be wasteful decides how bad could the whole can be, just use what they ask for!
  
sorry if this photo is not appetizing. I don't think it does the meal justice...although I ask you what photo of stew does?
 
Overall this tasted great. I am glad we won as I prepared this dish after the game had ended...I decided this would have been hard to "swallow" had we lost. Note to self - cook sooner next week! Oh yeah and that little bit down there that talks about how this meal can "tame even the coldest winter day"....well that is true too - except last Sunday is was near 90 here maybe not the best balmy Sunday dinner choice!

The recipe for this weeks dish came from allrecipes.com
Beef and Onion Stew
Submitted by: Lesa Swartwood
Rated: 5 out of 5 by 6 members
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
Ready In: 1 Hour 55 Minutes
Yields: 4 servings
"Few things can soften winter's bite better than a hearty stew, and this one is guaranteed to tame even the coldest winter day! The recipe has its origins in Germany and is familiar throughout central Missouri - home to many German families. It's great for what I call a 'one-pot' meal."
INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat
all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter or margarine
3 cups diced onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 cups beef broth
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon lemon-pepper
seasoning
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
cooked rice or noodles
DIRECTIONS:
1. Dredge meat in flour; brown in butter in a Dutch oven. Add the onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add broth, vinegar, tomato paste and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Serve over rice or noodles.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2008 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com
Did you play along too? Post a link to your results in the Mr Linky box below!

4 comments:

JS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jess said...

looks delicious! (and i'm always looking for a recipe that lets me use my dutch oven)

Harry said...

For next week;
http://food.aol.com/grilling/afc-football-tailgate-recipes
Oakland Raider's recipe was sausages & Beer boiled shrimp;
http://recipe.aol.com/recipe/beer-boiled-shrimp/76026

Dayna said...

***********
Jess - I LOVE using the dutch oven...Be sure to stir this one more then you would think...some of my pieces "over brownes" lets say :)

Harry - Thanks for the link. I will have to check that out...As of now I am leaning towards wine from Oakland!
***********