Monday, September 15, 2008

Unplugged Challenge - Sand

Unplugged Challenge - Sand



UPDATE 6/22/09: Featured on Crafty Crow - Alphabet Crafts




We were able to participate in the Unplugged Challenge this week. The theme was sand and it reminded me of something I remembered doing in 1st grade. We had trays of sand that we would practice writing our letters with our index finger.

I filled on old cookie sheet with some sand from outside. I then setup our dining room table with our nesting alphabet blocks (these are a great item to have around. created by MOMa and they feature all sorts of amazing art to coordinate with each letter...and includes a guide to each letter and art piece) and the sand tray...then called LittleA to join in on the fun!

We would look at the letter on the block then I would help her do the first one and then she tried the second on her own. I created a line in the sand at the bottom of the try as a guideline for where her letters should end. She was so delighted to see her S in the sand.

and of course it didn't take too long for the whole thing to end in a tiny sand castle building project!

See more clever sand projects here

15 comments:

So Smrt said...

How old is your little one? I think this would go over well in our house, but I'm pretty sure there would be no letters and all sand on the floor. :)

Yelli said...

This is such a good idea to learn letters! I think my guy is a little young now but I can see someone enjoying a change of pace instead of only using boring paper! (And I love your blocks too!!)

reprehriestless warillever said...

Neat! Love those blocks.

teachingtinytots said...

cute! we have nesting blocks like that ours are old time curious george!

Bobbie said...

what a good idea.. I am so terrible at combining learning work with craft... good job.. I might try this one

Michie said...

I tried something similar to this, and my little one wasn't interested in it - she just wanted to dig in it instead. I like those blocks too - very cool!

Gottfredsen said...

Great job. I try this with the boys every so often, yours looked a little more succesful than my attempts. They like to drive their cars through it. LOL

Ashley said...

Very cute!
We did the same thing when my oldest was learning her letters a couple years ago...only with salt. I never thought to use sand. It looks like more fun:)

Julie K in Taiwan said...

Great blocks. And of course a tiny sandcastle had to be built ;)

The Gozlings said...

What a great idea! My older son is just learning how to write letters, so this will be a fun way to practice.

Jess said...

those blocks look familiar... i loved sand trays in K too - i remember doing them to go along with the Letter People.

Mom Unplugged said...

This is lovely and such a Montessori activity! I am biased since my kids have been in Montessori since age 3. Great idea!

Dayna said...

****************
to all who stopped by and commented - THANK YOU!!!

For those who asked LittleA is 3.5 years old. And for the most part a patient and precise little crafter.

Glad you all liked the blocks. I looked for a link to them - but think that they are no longer being sold. I even searched ebay. They were made my MOMa and if you see them I highly recommend scooping them up!

Now that ashley mentioned I remember thinking that the sand was very white - I am wondering now if it was indeed salt!

Jess - clue me in...what are the letter people?

I think LittleA would thrive in a Montessori setting - but there are none close enough...so we try to bring some of that into the home.

Thanks again for your lovely comments!!
**************

Rosamunde said...

Well said.

Jelly Wares said...

This is an awesome idea, thanksfor sharing....

Take Care
Jodie :)