Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Daring Bakers - Pizza Dough

Daring Bakers - Pizza Dough & Toppings


I made this one just in the nick of time. I logged into the Daring Bakers top secret member only website today to print up this months challenge - figuring I would have a couple days here to complete it. Whoops...today is the deadline. Good thing I was home waiting for the cable guy.


LittleA and I decided we could do this one together. The October challenge was to make pizza dough taken from the book The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering The Art of Extraordinary Bread by Peter Reinhert. The dough was easy to make and easy to work with. This is the easiest time I have had throwing pizza dough.


I had a variety of topping options in the fridge but tonight was family Halloween night - so it was all about LittleA and she went for the traditional cheese and pepperoni pizzas.


 
My little helper stirring all the dry ingredients

LittleA loved the fact that yeast is a living thing

Very cold water...took forever to get to the right temp. Wonder why we needed it so cold? I thought with yeast things were supposed to be warm...hmmm have to look into that. 

 
dividing the dough - which was easy to manage in the mixer with the dough hook
  
You can make 4 large or 6 regular size dough balls. They can be stored in the freezer for future use too. Normally they stay in teh fridge overnight or for up to 3 days. But I was under a crunch and snuck some out for tonight's dinner. The rest will be frozen for later use.


as an added bonus to this challenge you get to watch me toss the dough...click on the above pic to see the video taped by LittleA

 
So you preheat the oven to 500 and get your pizza stone ready to go....mine started to burn...hmmm - maybe it is a cheapo or I forgot something here.

ready for a quick 10 minute bake at 500. 

ta-dah!

So there you have it. October all wrapped up. Be sure to head to the blog roll linked at the top of this post and see the amazing pizza combos the other DB'ers have created.


5 comments:

Lynn said...

I think your pizza looks great. I am jealous that you had a little helper! My youngest child is 27 and so I haven't had a helper in the kitchen for years! Fun post, well done.

Tia said...

Your pizza looks great!! You're so lucky you got to actually toss without punching a gigantic hole in the center. It was all worth it in the end though. :-D

Ruth said...

I love your video and your tossing is amazing. The pizza looks delicious

Jess said...

the video was great... i was so slow in getting to this month's challenge (and in posting it!)

pizza looks delicious.

creampuff said...

That is so funny and cute! Great pizza tossing!