Monday, October 27, 2008

Pumpkin Princess

Pumpkin Princess


Tim and I spent a good time at the end of September and beginning of October trying to convince LittleA that she should be the Ma Nah Ma Nah guy from the Muppet Show. Earlier this year she was in love with the video clips we found on the internet. I saw this costume as a super easy out for me - allowing me to get a jump on some holiday sewing and crafting. Well LittleA changed her mind and stood resolute to being a princess! I tried to get her to change her mind....and then realized how dumb I thought that was. Meaning the whole fun of Halloween is being who or whatever you want to be. So we made a compromise....she could be a princess just not a commercial princess. I even tried Princess Di and other such historical figures (no luck). We did meet in the middle at a Pumpkin Princess. We took a trip to the fabric store and created our fictional lady with bits and baubles. We choose shimmery orange sparkle fabric with a sheer bejeweled overlay. Her crown was created from a pillar candle berry wreath. The wand - a pumpkin garden marker.

I fashioned the dress bodice on a tshirt she wears. There was honest to goodness squealing when the little princess sleeves turned out just as planned. As I added some finishing trims to the costume LittleA gave me a disappointed look as she held her wand.
This looks like a squash wand...not a pumpkin wand.
I assured her they were in the same family and all was well again!


We decided that the Pumpkin Princess should have a jack-o-lantern face on front. I asked LittleA what type of face she wanted it to have and unequivocally she answered "A mean one". Yes, for Halloween we get to be all the things we aren't normally. My sweet babe picked the meanest face she could find and I carved and stitched it to her dress. Hesitant of the "mean" aspect - but proud of her not fearing to be unique.
Sewing for LittleA is one of my favorite things to do. In the hustle and bustle of trying to get this dress ready I lost sight of the fun of creating - until LittleA set me straight. She loves to sit in my studio and craft along side me and while I was stitching sleeves and hems I overheard her quite conversation....

...and my friends will say "oh you are a pumpkin princess" and then they will say "where did you get your costume" and I will tell them I didn't buy it my mama made it for me.
My heart swelled.
I love this little gal!




4 comments:

Ellen said...

What a CUTE idea!

Jess said...

oh my goodness - how sweet is she. i must confess that i hope ben will say the same thing in a year or two about the costumes i make for him. i think this was the last year of being able to sway him away from one idea, and into another one.

the costume turned out beautifully! i love the scary face on the front most of all.

Dayna said...

**********
Thanks Ellen - I will have to send out some more photos after we go Trick-or-Treating.

Jess - I completely know what you mean about the last year to sway them! I know Ben will love all your homemade love!!! I am sure in a couple years our Kiddos may not be so verbal about it - but in their hearts....you cant not love made with love.
***********

Dayna said...

**********
Thanks Ellen - I will have to send out some more photos after we go Trick-or-Treating.

Jess - I completely know what you mean about the last year to sway them! I know Ben will love all your homemade love!!! I am sure in a couple years our Kiddos may not be so verbal about it - but in their hearts....you cant not love made with love.
***********