Saturday, November 29, 2008

Daring Bakers - November 08 - Caramel Cake

Daring Bakers - November 08 - Caramel Cake

Well once again I had high hopes for completing this challenges early in the month. Note to self - December is going to be busy - do challenge EARLY! Anyway I waited till the last moment and completed the November Challenge. I figured that I could make it for my December book club meeting (which will be a holiday food festivus)...thankfully while in the midst of baking and before frosting...I realized that the party is next week on the 11th. So the whole cake is heading to the freezer and will get frosted next week.

 
Here is my browned butter - not sure if I did this right. There were an awful lot of little bits at the bottom, even after straining. The measuring cup is full of caramel syrup...delish. The picture is of my 2nd batch as I burned the first...um..yeah one persons dark amber is apparently my version of a light amber.

 
My batter was poured into two 9" round pans.Let me just say that this batter tasted AMAZING! I hope this cake tastes as good cooked.

 
Here is the frosting all whipped up. I must say that confectionery sugar frosting is not my favorite. I find them way too sweet and they never stop tasting too much like confectionery sugar. I think I may just lightly frost the top layer of my cake.
So into the freezer the cakes have gone and into the fridge with the frosting. It will all get pulle dout next week to get frosted. Photo to come!

The Challenge:
Caramel Cake with Caramelized Butter Frosting courtesy of Shuna Fish Lydon (http://eggbeater.typepad.com/), as published on Bay Area Bites (http://blogs.kqed.org/bayareabites/).

Thanks goes out to this months hosts:
Dolores, Alex (Brownie of the Blondie and Brownie duo), Jenny. And for help with alternative alternative baking - Natalie to assist us.

2 comments:

allthingsjennifer said...

The batter did taste great I remember being surprised.

The cake wasn't as good as the batter though, at least fresh from the oven, it was better after it cooled with the frosting though, in my opinion.

And man oh man, I didn't even try the browned butter! OOOPS! Too much wine under the wire timing I suppose!

My caramel dark amber was burnt too, had I read through all the comments I might have realized this and saved an old pan and a few cups of sugar.

Hugs! Glad to hear you made it!!!

Gretchen Noelle said...

Great job getting the cake started! I thought the batter tasted so good. I was surprised the resulting flavor was just so so. Hope everyone enjoys it!!