Monday, November 17, 2008

Unplugged Challenge - Sort, Junk, Donate

Unplugged Challenge - Sort, Junk, Donate

This weeks challenge coincided nicely with Amanda Soule's (Soule Mama) new project Mama to Mama. Amanda has created a blog site where you can participate in crafting newborn caps and blankets for newborn babies in Haiti.


There are so very many reasons why we craft. We craft out of necessity, we craft out of love, we craft for pleasure. And we craft, sometimes, to bring a little peace to our lives, to our hearts, and to our everyday moments. Taking that just a step further, we can - and do, like so many crafters before us - turn our crafting into peace for the world beyond our homes. The simple act of creating something with intention and heart - for someone in need, can have a beautiful effect on the lives of others. We can, indeed, do something to create a more just and peaceful world...all with the simple, mindful and crafty work of our hands.
Her site is as she hopes "a source of inspiration and action". With one simple pattern and a half an hour LittleA and I crafted for goodness. This week we did one small thing that can in turn have a huge impact on the life of someone else.

The best part is that the little caps are made out of re-purposed t-shirts. I sorted through our home closet as well as the donation bins at work (we embroider and silk-screen apparel) and came up with plenty of shirts.

LittleA and I spent the whole week discussing Haiti and how some babies have an up hill climb once they enter this world. We talked about how the more love you give the more you get in return - and she decided her job would be to fill each little cap with love. She has her head wrapped around this project in such a big way for a 3.5 year old. Multiple times this week she has brought tears to my eyes with her sweet little comments.

  • She got out of bed one night crying because we didn't make hats for babies in Haiti that day. We had been invited to an impromptu play-date and so I had decided to move the craft night to the weekend...she thought we had missed out.
  • From the back seat of the car: "Mama it is ok if I put all my love from my heart in the babies from Haiti hats - because Mimi and Funpa and you and Daddy will give me more love for my heart."
  • "Mama I know what you and the other mommies are called who are making hats - you are Soul Mamas". So she may have mixed my description of Amandas blog and the Mama to Mama blog...But in actuallity - I think she does get it...all those crafty mamas out in the world pouring themselves and their soules into something for another mama and her baby. Because when it all comes down to it.....all of us mamas want nothing but the best for our babes.

So here is our instructions - which are easy to follow and which you can download here.

I decided to pin the front and back of the t-shirt together so that I wouldn't have to match them up once they were in two pieces. I imagine you could even just stitch on the traced lines and then cut the hat from the shirt once they are sewn - then just turn them out and tie.

Shh don't tell LittleA but that is the head of the doll I am making her for Christmas that is modeling this little tye-die cap. It looks so cute I may have to make a smaller one for the doll baby.

And here is the stack we have so far. I am going to see how many more we can complete before the mailing deadline.

Do you have some t-shirts you no longer need? Do you have a small amount of craft time you could donate to this worthy project? Make a cap or make the new project - a receiving blanket.

and while you are at it - be sure to participate in next weeks Unplugged Challenge - THANKFUL. I think this project can work for that theme too! Get all your family to help trace and cut these little caps at Thanksgiving - and be Thankful for all the blessings in your life!



3 comments:

Gottfredsen said...

What a great project.

ScottChrisCoriCassiCali said...

That is a really wonderful project. You did a beautiful job spreading the word and your daughter seems as though she will grow into a compassionate young lady some day. Your post was a bright spot in our day.

Yelli said...

What a meaningful project. I might have to try this although of course, I only kept 2 t-shirts for my move here! Egads!

However, I am sure I can find fabric to do this. Thanks for the great idea.