Thursday, January 29, 2009

Daring Bakers - January 09 - Tuiles

Daring Bakers - January 09 - Tuiles


Back on the horse after my December Daring Bakers break. This month was an easy one to get back in the swing of things with. January's challenge was Tuiles 
Traditionally, tuiles are thin, crisp almond cookies that are gently molded over a rolling pin or arched form while they are still warm. Once set, their shape resembles the curved French roofing tiles for which they're named. The Dutch angle: traditionally this batter was used to bake flat round cookies on 31st December, representing the year unfold. On New Years day however, the same batter was used but this day they were presented to well-wishers shaped as cigars and filled with whipped cream, symbolizing the New Year that's about to roll on. And of course the batter is sometimes called tulip-paste....
This month's challenge is brought to us by Karen of Bake My Day and Zorra of 1x umruehren bitte aka Kochtopf. They have chosen Tuiles from The Chocolate Book by Angélique Schmeink and Nougatine and Chocolate Tuiles from Michel Roux.

The recipe for the tuiles is only 5 ingredients deep and can be infinitly altered. As time was running short this month I stuck with the keep it simple theory and made these while LittleA was painting her papier mache project in the kitchen with me.

 
The few ingredients get combined in the mixer until a paste is created. The ingredients are butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, egg whites, and flour.
 
 
The fun part about these cookies is that you have to make a template to spread your paste into. I used a piece of scrap framing matte board from my craft room. I tried a freehand butterfly and scraped that idea and looked through my cookie cutters. I got a fun promo TiVO cookie cutter and figured I could try one of those and do the rest as circles - that I could then roll and fill and dip and such.
Using an offset spatula you spread some of the paste into your template. Then pull away the template and your cookie is there on your silpat or parchment paper.
 
It is best to leave some good space between your shapes so that you can easily lift them off your paper later for shaping. At this stage you can also decorate the cookies. The recipe suggested adding some chocolate cocoa to some of the paste and piping it on with a decorating tip.The cookies are baked until they start to brown at the edges.
Right as the cookies come out of the oven it is time to shape them. I wrapped mine around a rolling pin. But you could put them in or on a muffin pan or other fun shapes around the house. I was going to roll them into a cigar shape - but they cool so quick and I think mine were too think so I went with the small curve.

6 comments:

Hannah said...

Haha, great use of that free stencil! The tuiles look great.

Lisa Michelle said...

Nice job, so delicate, light and shaped perfectly :)

Dragon said...

They turned out great! Well done.

Jenny said...

Yay Tivo! Made me laugh.

Sheri said...

Wow! I never thought to write on them. This opens up a whole world of possibilities!! HA!

Lauren said...

Mmm, your tuiles look awesome! Love the shapes!