Friday, May 21, 2010

Yogurt

Seriously did you have any idea how easy it is to make homemade yogurt? I saw the wonderfully photographed explanation over at JCase Handmade.

I remember my grandmother had a yogurt machine at her house...and she made everything from scratch so I guess I just figured you needed a machine of some sort. Well if you have a pan and a bowl with a lid - you are ready to go!
 The photo above is my bowl of yogurt...needing some more of the water drained off. Trust me though JCasa's photos are drool worthy. I am going to turn two cups of this into frozen yogurt (good looking recipe over at 101 cookbooks) later today. Simple ingredients 1/2 gallon of milk and 6oz of yogurt. I love that you need yogurt to make yogurt...so don't eat all your goodness, save some for the next batch.

I did use kitchen towels to soak up the excess fluids. I could not bring myself to go through the amount of paper towels or napkins this would have required. I have so far used three kitchen towels and they were all soaking wet. I am not thrilled with the fact that there is detergent in my towels...but it is "natural" detergent (not that I would want to eat it)l. And who is to say what is in bleached paper products? I am thinking cheese cloth and a sieve would be a much better option.

Now I need to root around in the freezer for some of last summers left over fruit. Any mix in suggestions?