Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Sour Cream Drop Biscuits

day.by.dayna :: 1:8


I owned a biscuit cutter but had never attempted to make some. Then the other night I made soup and thought it might be a good time to give it a try. I had clipped a recipe a while back from CookingLight that seemed like it would compliment the soup. The biscuits whipped up quick and easily and they were delicious hot with melted butter spread inside.

****

Sour Cream, Cheddar , and Green Onion Drop Biscuits - CookingLight
for full details and nutritional info click the above link

Ingredients

  • 2  cups  all-purpose flour
  • 1  tablespoon  sugar
  • 2  teaspoons  baking powder
  • 1  teaspoon  salt
  • 1/4  teaspoon  baking soda
  • 3  tablespoons  chilled butter, cut into small pieces
  • 3/4  cup  (3 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (I used a mix of cheese that I had in my fridge...one of which was sharp provolone)
  • 1/4  cup  finely chopped green onions (substituted garlic because it was what I had on hand)
  • 1  cup  fat-free buttermilk (I keep powdered buttermilk in my fridge and just mix it with water as needed)
  • 1/2  cup  fat-free sour cream
  • Cooking spray

Preparation

Preheat oven to 450°.
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add cheese and onions; toss well. Add buttermilk and sour cream; stir just until moist.
Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. (I rolled out the dough and cut out biscuit rounds and baked them on a silpat lined baking sheet) Bake at 450° for 15 minutes or until edges are brown. Remove biscuits from pan; cool on wire racks.